[thelist] Firebird not liking table in xhtml

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 12:48:13 CDT 2003

Andrew Martin wrote:

> I have a table that Imageready made; I took an image, made slices, exported
> it, made it validate in XHTML but now Firebird is showing big gaps between
> the <tr> tags and it's bleeding into non-tabled content at times.
>
> When I remove the XHTML Strict declaration, the table renders properly.  Why
> does this occur?  Any way around it without removing the declaration?

This could be due to the well-documented image in table cell issue. The
short answer is to add this rule to your CSS:

td img { display: block; }

For the longer answer, see Eric Meyer's essay on the subject:

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/img-table/

--
Simon Willison
Web development weblog: http://simon.incutio.com/