[thelist] carnfounded Character Encodings

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 14:39:31 CST 2003

Ok, all I want to do is understand Character Encodings once and for
all. I went here

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/index.html

and read the tutorial. My brain exploded, it wasn't pretty. Now I
have some various understandings about "character repertoire" vs.
"character code" and stuff like that. Fooey.

I want pratical information for the developer building pages for
English speaking peoples of the world. No, I don't care if you say
colour or color.

Based on the following page:

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/htmlunicode.html

It seems that using:

Gives you the widest array of characters (both normal and special) at
you disposal. If this is true - where is the best chart of special
characters (url would be great) to use them. Is the u#### mode the
best?

If not, what should I do for my documents? Specify nothing? For the
record, I generally build pages in XHTML transitional.

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"The fun you can have with a bunch of old rocks and a can of yellow paint." (Bonzana Bunny, 1959)