[thelist] Tables vrs. CSS for search engines

Steve Clason stevec at topdogstrategy.com
Tue Oct 28 17:45:03 CST 2003

kent wrote:

> My employer at work has been doing a little bit of research on
> strategies for making rank on search engines. She told me today that
> search engines do not search tables, and that all sites should
> therefor be designed purely using style sheets. Does anyone know if
> this is true?
> Thanks

That's false and she should do larger bits of research. You might
achieve higher relevance by using css-p to move your content closer to
the top of the page than you could have it otherwise, but search engines
just whiz through tables.  I've sold search engine optimization services
for several years and know whereof I speak--not about many things, but
about this for sure.

Steve Clason