[thelist] Tables vrs. CSS for search engines

Lonnie kr43m0r at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 22:38:36 CST 2003

> My web site also lists at or near the top on a google search and it has
> always been tables, and in the beginning was frames. Even with frames I
> was number one. I, too, won't go to css layout yet. Too buggy, too
> hacky.

It's been proven that CSS layouts can be more SE friendly than tables, but
why would you declare "won't go to css layout"?

CSS is not buggy or hacky! The technology is rather well defined. Most
"problems" are due to variable browser implementation of CSS, developer lack
of knowledge or more likely, design deficiencies. CSS hacks are used solely
to circumvent specific and minor differences in implementation. Most CSS
layout "problems" can be resolved simply by reevaluating the design.
Certainly, sometimes CSS can't duplicate table behavior. In those rare
cases, use a table! After all, CSS is a "technology in training" and is not
predacious.

I've not yet met a circumstance where a design could not be improved with
CSS.

--
Lonnie Kraemer