[thelist] SetVariable to flash file (brower-indepent)

Scott Blanchard octigonuser at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:21:21 CST 2003

There is a method called SetVariable that allows a javascript to communicate
with a flash movie and in the process, assign a dynamic value to an existing
variable in the flash movie.

I am trying to figure out the best way to target the flash file in Netscape
7+. Can someone tell me if this is the correct way to target the flash
movie...

BTW, cannot use document.getElementById('myFlash') since the id attribute is
not valid on the embed tag for al flash movie. The embed tag is used for
Netscape...

var myFlashDoc = (document.all) ?
top.parent.frames["x8toolbar"].document.getElementById("myFlash") :
top.parent.frames["x8toolbar"].document.myFlash;

My concern is that the document.myFlash statement is not the apprpriate way
to refer to the object (although it works). Can someone tell me for sure?

FWIW, here is the object/embed tags

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
width="100%" height="50" id="myFlash">
    <param name=movie value="x8toolbar.swf">
    <param name=quality value=high>
	<param name=scale value=noscale>
	<param name=salign value=LT>
	<param name=bgcolor value=#CCCCCC>

	<embed src="x8toolbar.swf" quality=high width="100%" height="50"
scale=noscale salign=LT bgcolor=#CCCCCC type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"
name="myFlash" swLiveConnect="true">
    </embed>
  </object>