[thelist] Asian Language Support in non-MS browsers

Jacques Capesius jacques_capesius at cnt.com
Thu Oct 30 11:08:34 CST 2003

> Another question: I'm investigating how to write pages that both
> display and allow input (e.g. into web forms) of asian languages,
> e.g. Gujurati.
> In IE5+ (I think) it's pretty straightforward - you specifiy the
> codepage and bingo you've got it. But what about non-MS browsers?
> E.g. NS, Mozilla, Opera (and now of course Safari)? What are you
> supposed to do here?

Hi, Steve, sorry about the slow response.

As a matter of fact, I created a flashcard page for the Japanese course I've
been taking. All that I had to do in order to get it to work in both IE5+
and Mozilla 1.3+ is to specify the charset in the header files, in my case:

here's a reference I found on how to refer to the charsets. Use the NAME
attribute for the charset.

...which you can get to from...

-jacques :)