[thelist] User Agent CSS Reload Command

Tim Fountain tim at incutio.com
Fri Oct 31 10:38:30 CST 2003

Kristof,

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, 6:30:52 PM, you wrote:

> Randy Pearson wrote:

>> I often test dynamic web applications, and after making CSS
>> changes, would like to ask the browser to re-render the page with
>> the updated CSS, while not requiring it to refresh the page content
>> from the server.

> did you try this?
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css?" />
> The question mark should make the browser reload the css document.

If you're using PHP or similar language, you can get it to put a
string of random numbers after the question mark which will make sure
it always reloads the stylesheet.

If you're testing pages with Mozilla/Firebird you might also want to
Google for the 'test styles' bookmarket.  This gives you a new window
in which you can type CSS code that is used by the parent window as
you type - very useful for testing!

--
Tim Fountain | Web developer | Incutio Ltd | www.incutio.com
Tel: +44(0)8708 700 333 | Fax: +44(0)7092 181 581