[thelist] ball park time frame

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Sat Nov 1 02:11:12 CST 2003

Ron

[..]

>  What I am wondering is on average, and I know that every job will vary
> greatly, will it take to create an e-commerce web site.
> I'm just looking for some ball park numbers to help me figure a price
> schedule.
> What i am thinking is say a twenty page site with a shopping cart,
> access database, some graphic design, and incorporating some ASP, CSS
> and JavaScript.
> All i'm looking for a starting point. A week? Two weeks? Two days?  A
> year? Five min. ?

I'm afraid there is no starting point for this estimate without further
information. It could take you a week, two weeks, two days or a year;
although it is unlikely to take two minutes. Only *you* know how long it is
going to take you to complete this project, and to make this calculation you
need to know exactly what you are going to be doing. If I were you I would
spec out the project more thoroughly, make an estimate of how much time it
will take *you* to complete and then double that time for your official
estimate.

> My problem is a lack of full time experience what jobs I have done in
> the past have been fit into what ever spare time I could muster. I
> really can' t use my past experience as an example.

Au contraire mon ami, you *must* use your past experience to make your time
estimate, as this is *all* you have to go on. What takes you an hour may take
me a minute or a day, and vice versa.

HTH...

Regards

Chris Marsh