[thelist] FormMail

Simon Perry simon.perry at si-designs.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 07:24:07 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Price"

> I wonder if anyone can help me.
>
> I have attempted to install NMS FormMail Version 3.09c1 and I am getting
> nowhere with the debugging. I'm not familiar with Perl or cgi scripts
> generally and the error output is puzzling me.
>
> It says there is a parse error in "use strict"
> When I take that out it throws a wobbly at "use vars"
> It doesn't seem to like qw() so I've replaced them with ('','')

Hi Chris

I am not sure that this is the best place to ask [1] but here goes anyway.

What platform / version of Perl are you running the script on?

What platform / editors are you using to edit the script?

My guesses are that you are using windoze / notepad to edit the script and
have introduced windows hidden chars (line breaks etc) into the script that
Linux/Unix servers will not like. You may also have introduced problems
during ftp if the transfer mode is not set to ASCII.

Then there are the RTFM like comments as qw() is explained towards the
bottom of the nms readme [2].

Simon

[1] nms list and archives http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/support.html
[2] http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/formmail_compat-3.09c1/README