[thelist] tracking a url [implementation?]

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Nov 4 15:40:58 CST 2003

At 11:30 AM 11/4/2003, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>Okay, so what's the best way to run this? If my redirect page is
>LinkRedirect.asp - should I append the whole URL (if I did I assume
>it would need to be encoded?) or just a keyword that the server maps
>to a url?
>
>do this:
>
>LinkRedirect.asp?url=http://www.somesite.com/

If you use IDs and a DB Table you can simplify it to:

         Link.asp?ID=33

Then the program records the "hit", looks up 33, and redirects the browser.
Another way would be to just pass the domain name and path, if necessary

         Link.asp?URL=www.foo.org

         Link.asp?URL=www.foo.org/path/to/content

Don't use Meta tags!! In ASP use:

         response.redirect("http://wwww.foo.org")

I would recommend that you record the hit in a table somewhere instead of
relying on WebTrends to track this.

--
Anthony Baratta
President