[thelist] Adding a Column in EM is Taking WAY TOO long.

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Nov 4 18:13:52 CST 2003

At 02:58 PM 11/4/2003, Rob Smith wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>I'm using Enterprise manager to add a column (Design Table > save) to an
>existing table of around 70k rows. After waiting around for 20 minutes for
>the operation to complete, I gave up.
>
>Has anyone had experience like this they can share? advice to offer?
>alternate quicker methods (ALTER TABLE)?

You can view the SQL used to make your changes and run that in Query
Analyzer. You probably lost your connection to the Server during the
process or you have a ton of indexes impacted by your changes.

Basically with table changes, EM makes a new table with the new table
structure and does an insert from olde table to new table, creates all the
constraints and indexes, drops the olde table and then renames the new
table the old name.

Depending upon your table size, indexes and the amount of temp space you
have left over, this can take a while. Have you cleared your transaction
logs lately? (via DB Maintenance)

--
Anthony Baratta
President