[thelist] Adding a Column in EM is Taking WAY TOO long.

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Nov 4 18:21:50 CST 2003

In EM you get the option to see what the actual change script will be, and
save that off to a file. I'd check that to see how many queries the whole
thing has to run (possibly just one, or possibly many depending on what type
of column, indexes and constraints you're adding).

Secondly, I would always do this via Query Analyser if I could. It means
that I have a script that I can save in case I ever need to repeat the
process.

Lastly, you may be running into some kind of blocking/lock
contention/deadlock problem. What does EM tell you about current connections
and state?

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Smith" <rob.smith at THERMON.com>
To: "Thelist (E-mail)" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:58 AM
Subject: [thelist] Adding a Column in EM is Taking WAY TOO long.

: Hi list,
:
: I'm using Enterprise manager to add a column (Design Table > save) to an
: existing table of around 70k rows. After waiting around for 20 minutes for
: the operation to complete, I gave up.
:
: Has anyone had experience like this they can share? advice to offer?
: alternate quicker methods (ALTER TABLE)?
:
: Rob Smith