[thelist] Adding a Column in EM is Taking WAY TOO long.

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Wed Nov 5 08:10:53 CST 2003

<snip author="ken">
In EM you get the option to see what the actual change script will be, and
save that off to a file. I'd check that to see how many queries the whole
thing has to run (possibly just one, or possibly many depending on what type
of column, indexes and constraints you're adding).
</snip>

this is the saved query, good learning tool!
ALTER TABLE dbo.tblReel ADD
	CanadaSalesOrderNumber varchar(20) NULL
GO

<snip author="ken">
Secondly, I would always do this via Query Analyzer if I could. It means
that I have a script that I can save in case I ever need to repeat the
process.
</snip>

Is QA faster? more dependable? good tip on saving the SQL statement

<snip author="ken">
Lastly, you may be running into some kind of blocking/lock
contention/deadlock problem. What does EM tell you about current connections
and state?
</snip>

The moment I try running the query, I get the infamous hour glass and EM
hangs. Do you think initiating another instance of EM will allow me to
monitor the connections and state of them?

<snip author="anthony">
Basically with table changes, EM makes a new table with the new table
structure and does an insert from old table to new table, creates all the
constraints and indexes, drops the old table and then renames the new
table the old name.
</snip>

That's rancid!

<snip author="anthony">
Have you cleared your transaction logs lately? (via DB Maintenance)
</snip>

I have no clue how to do this. I poked around in EM and really didn't find
what I was looking for. Granted I have no idea what I'm supposed to be
looking for. The help files didn't help much. Wow what a concept huh?!

Thanks again for your responses,

Rob