[thelist] CSS, standards and mobile device content (any experts?)

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 08:46:13 CST 2003

Greets,

Just getting comments back on my HTML/CSS guidelines at my company.
One point I had made for XHTML and CSS was the ability to repurpose
that content without having to completely re-write it. Using
standards compliant XHTML can allow you to get your content into
alternate devices. Dandy.

Here are a couple of comments I got back:

"...tries to oversell the merits of CSS to solve mobile device
problems a little bit. I don’t believe any of (our) device
development to date has been in HTML.  It’s been J2ME or WML.

The Nextel phones only support a very crude HTML implementation.
Given the small screen sizes, crude MMI, and network bandwidth
limitations (6 kbps for Nextel), I think the reality today is still
that good “content” or application user interfaces must be
re-authored for devices.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we should encourage the use of CSS, just
not position it as being able to solve most device problems today."

I believe the Nextel phones support HTML 3.2.

My point was not that CSS on its own solved these problems, but that
the separation of content and style, and having well formed and valid
XHTML allows you to re-purpose your content *without* re-authoring.

What I'm looking for is anyone who has actually done this. What tools
did you use? XML? XSLT? What devices? Did you take XHTML and move it
to something else?

Anything else anyone is willing to offer. We need to find out the
best business solutions. My company is doing a lot of work in mobile
tech and this is going to be important for us.

TIA

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"I'll ho ho and ha ha you!" (Daffy Duck)