[thelist] User/Content Moderation - Issues?

moni_orife moni at emospace.com
Fri Nov 7 23:01:51 CST 2003

User/Content Moderation - Issues?

I'm currently struggling with managing our corporations' public
discussion forums.  Currently the company has adopted a lassie-faire
approach due to limited resources and the legal issues associated with
moderating content.

My primary concerns with the content on the forums are:
1.	misinformation
2.	troll posts
3.	attempts at bypassing the foul language feature

I've heard mention of the "Prodigy" case.  My understanding of the case
is that Prodigy claimed to provide forum moderation on their community
sites, but in doing so were required to and ultimately held responsible
for moderating ALL content . some inappropriate content slipped by
moderators and lead to the court case.

Will someone please point me to this case as I wasn't able to find it.

What schemes do you adopt with regard to forum moderation?  How serious
of an issue do you see possibly missing some inappropriate content?
I've thought about making an extensive rules & regulations that members
are required to agree to before signing up for the forums, do you see
this as a place to position this issue?

A bit stuck here - thanks.

 - moni