[thelist] Quick Flash/link request

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Nov 10 05:42:03 CST 2003

On Monday, Nov 10, 2003, at 11:47 Europe/London,
<john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:
> I want to make a small Flash movie a link in my web page but it's not
> working. The movie's displaying, but it's not a link. I've replaced the
> whole Flash stuff with an img and that works, so the link part is
> working.
>
> Is it that objects can't be links or something?

Some objects certainly can't, I don't know about all objects. What does
the HTML validator say about <object> inside <a>?

> So can't I create a flash movie that's a link?

Correct, flash steals the click (either acting on it, or dropping it on
the floor) before it gets to the anchor.

> Or do I have to do it from within Flash, within the movie?

Yes... although its usually a bad idea to use flash for links. Its
unfriendly to Google, not everyone has the plugin (or could use it if
they did), etc. Your circumstances may be unusual though.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/