[thelist] Tip: Image Map Rollovers with CSS

HUTTON III, WILLIAM J. WJHUTTONIII at energy-northwest.com
Tue Nov 11 10:43:25 CST 2003

Thanks for the example, Kristof.

We are accomplishing the same effect, but your example requires separate rollover images for each area tag in the image map.  Your example has three rollover effects, and uses four images; the base image, then one image for each rollover.

Our image map has over 100 hot spots, so each time the base image is changed, we'd also have to make 100 new rollover images.  Something we didn't want to do.

That's exactly why I chose to implement the rollover with CSS clipping.  That way, we just have two images; the base image, and the rollover image, which is clipped to give the effect of 100 separate rollover images.  :)

Thanks,
Will

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.
Please DO NOT forward this e-mail outside of the recipient's company unless
expressly authorized to do so herein.  Any unauthorized review; use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Warning:
Although Energy Northwest has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses
are present in this e-mail, the agency cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
damage arising from the use of this e-mail or its attachments.