[thelist] Enterprise site architecture/CMS question

Lonnie kr43m0r at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 17:15:40 CST 2003

> Wondering about your opinions on how to handle static content on a
> large enterprise size site.
>
> Imagine a site that has say 7 categories, each category has multiple
> sub categories and theres roughly 200 pages, many with static
> content. The template for most pages is the same or similar.
>
> But the body of the template has varying content/HTML. I know there's
> lots of ways to handle this content but I wonder what you all thought
> was the most efficient.
>
> It doesn't seem that putting the content/html into a database is the
> best way to go on one hand - although it would seem to make editing
> that content easy.
>
> Anyway, thoughts, links etc ..

Hi Tom,

One efficient way to handle static content is to write content pages that
call the template - somewhat upsidedown as logic goes. This is a very
flexible approach and quite simple to implement once you get your head
around the concept. Since you mention databased content, I assume you are
expecting a server-side method.

If the concepts sounds viable, write me offlist and I'll get into more
detail.

Lonnie