[thelist] Client Posted Website Using a Comp (prior to payment)..... personal experience

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 22:23:38 CST 2003

At 17:10 13/11/2003, Tim wrote
>Hi all,
>Can anyone provide advice regarding recourse in a copyright infringement
>case (in Canada).
>
>A client of mine used my comp of their proposed website to create and
>upload their new home page. I had my company's copyright notice as the
>page footer and they changed it to the name of their company.
>
>I made it very clear that they would receive the project files once I had
>received the final payment. I have not yet received payment. I have asked
>them to remove the page until I have been paid and they have refused.
>
>What are my options?
>Any help would be appreciated.

This happened once to me

Customer ripped content off the server I hosted it on and copied it to "his"

He was stupid enough NOT to take the author tags and hidden copyright
comments out each page of the code!!!!!

I Told the "customer" (sensu lato)  he was a very naughty man and would be
cursed with torment hellfire brimstone and damnation
on his departure from this earth  if he did not pay, he did nothing....
(not god-fearing in the slightest)

Luckily his "ripped off" site was now HOSTED on a 3rd party server not his own!

Rang the host and told them they were delivering content that breached
....la la la la..

......... furious "view source" by the host!

Site was down in 30 minutes!!!

Customer paid up in 1 day ;)

John