[thelist] security strategy - is mine flawed?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 16:38:37 CST 2003

--- Burhan Khalid <thelist at meidomus.com> wrote:

> Run Mozilla -- sometimes, progams can hijack IE settings and cause
> strange things to happen. Also you didn't mention programs like
> Ad-Aware, which are great for weeding out unwanted guests on your
> computer.  I know once I made Mozilla my primary browser (not my
> default browser), incidents like what you describe were reduced to
> almost nil.

I forgot to mention, I do indeed use Ad-aware and Spybot. I've tried
a few times to make Mozilla and/or Firebird my primary browser. I
can't seem to get used to either. I always end up having some problem
it seems. Maybe I should try harder.

> Also, Mozilla's mail reader seems to be immune to all those pesky
> Outlook-specific worms.  Other good ones are The Bat (
> http://www.ritlabs.com ) and Pegasus.

I use only Yahoo! for email, so not a problem there.

> If you run any "sponsored" software -- they might install programs
> without your knowledge.

True, but I don't :)

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"I'll ho ho and ha ha you!" (Daffy Duck)