[thelist] Content management

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Nov 24 10:46:46 CST 2003

> One of my client wants to update two web pages on her own,
> instead of me updating it. One of the page is for monthly
> tips which she wants to update herself and another one is to
> change the name of the pdf file and the link reference.

For simple, down-n-dirty stuff, and if you don't mind putting just a
little work into it, Spaw is pretty nice:
http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/en_spaw/en_spaw_about

Use it free for non-comm (GPL) or pay a nominal fee for commercial use:
http://www.solmetra.com/en/disp.php/en_products/en_spaw/en_spaw_purchase

It replaces a text field with a GUI HTML editor (IE, of course - but
I'll bet that's what your client uses). All you have to do then is
handle the form data, which can be saved in a DB or in a flat file. The
HTML is pretty clean, too, which, aside from the GPL/commercial
licensing options is why I prefer it over others that are out there.

Check the example function at php.net for writing to a file (replace
$somecontent with your form field/$_POST, and change the 'a' in the
fopen() function's arguments to 'w' to overwrite the file's existing
content):
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.fwrite.php

I like to set up an include file that holds the editable section. That's
the part that is written with the SPAW field. Then I include that file
in the actual page. This way, your user is only editing the parts that
you want them to.

Bill