[thelist] DBCon to SQL good/bad practice

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Nov 24 10:47:35 CST 2003

From: "Jeff Howden" <jeff at jeffhowden.com>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 11:10 AM

> actually, you can control whether or not any given datasource uses pooled
> connections or not.  simply uncheck the "maintain connections" checkbox in
> the coldfusion administrator and it will open and close connections for
> every request.
>
> imo, changing this setting is a *very* bad idea.  cf uses pooled
connections
> by default for a reason;  it's alot more efficient to not have to open and
> close the connection all the time.

Agreed, 100%.

<tip type="CF Studio" author="Joshua Olson">
Some installs of CF Studio 5 have a very annoying bug.  When you create a
folder via RDS every file save will go into the new folder, regardless of
where the file was originally.  The only fix is to close and reopen CF
Studio.

The way that I get around that is to go into the server via TS or via FTP
and add folders when necessary.  Unfortunately this makes the RDS folder
list become out of synch.  The normal fix is to refresh the display by doing
right-click->refresh or simply pressing F5.  Unfortunately sometimes CF
Studio chokes during a refresh and you may end up closing and reopening CF
Studio all the same.

Instead of refreshing, collapse the RDS Server to the server root and then
right click->Disconnect.  Couple of good things about this: 1.  It's really
fast, 2. when it reconnects the folder structure will be updated, and 3. I
have yet to see it crash CF Studio.
</tip>

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer