[thelist] Is Yahoo worth it?

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 23:54:50 CST 2003

Brian Cummiskey wrote:

> i would have to say no.
>
> I have never paid, and I'm listed in the top 10 on almost all major search engines on
> several search requests pertaining to my site.  I never spent a dime on advertising.
>
> It's all about submitting to dmoz.oeg, getting listed, and then getting spidered on a
> regular basis from google bot.

It's also about frequently updated, good quality content. Search engines
in general and Google in particular reward sites that have a decent rate
of new content. If it's content that other people are going to link to
then all the better! There's a reason weblogs command surprisingly high
page rank.

Cheers,

Simon Willison
http://simon.incutio.com/