[thelist] The REAL browser width TAKE 2

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Nov 26 09:28:23 CST 2003

I received the following from thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org <>
 on Wed, November 26, 2003 9:16 AM:

> On 26 Nov 2003, at 14:05, Hershel Robinson wrote:
>> Anyhow, I use Webtools (
> http://www.iconico.com/webtool/index.asp ) to
>> size
>> my browser to 800x600 so I can test designs at that size. I have been
>> experimenting now with an actual Win 2K desktop set to 800x600
>> pixels and I see that the REAL thing (IE6) is several pixels wider
>> than what WebTools gives me.
>>
>> For certain pages I am making, every pixel indeed counts so I would
>> like to know if anyone has any data (or experience) with this and
>> can tell me who's right.
>
> <http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=2684/nam1012432092/index.html>

Somewhat interesting article and perhaps had a lot of enlightening facts
when it was written 2 and a half years ago. I think now however most of us
are aware of his basic points.

My question is could there be a difference in WIDTH between a Maximixed IE
browser on a Windows desktop at resolution 600x800 and a different Win
desktop same resolution. Presuming no sidebars visible.

Hershel