[thelist] Is Yahoo worth it?

orion orion at electrick.net
Wed Nov 26 11:36:49 CST 2003

If being listed fast is more important than the $300(us) or so it takes then
I would say it's worth it. Sites that are entering an already competitive
area or that need to be indexed quickly I submit to yahoo. It seems to get
all the bigger engines to list a site faster. If the project is something
more obscure or if saving money is more important than time I submit to dmoz
and the others first and let google and therefore yahoo find it on its own.

Being listed in the yahoo directory also gives you some small amount of
credibility for being a proper business as you have to prove yourself to
yahoo first. Maybe this is why other engines pick up faster this way?

I thought Yahoo was going away from using the google engine and going to use
inktomi as its primary source. Did anyone hear what happened to that?

And is anyone happily using overture? What situations do you find Overture
being a valuable service?