[thelist] Flash/memory question

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Nov 27 23:42:10 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Soini" <dianesoini at earthlink.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 11:51 PM

> Hi, I know this isn't a Flash list, but I thought I would ask anyway.
> It seems when I'm using Flash (MX), either developing or running Flash
> apps in a browser, that Flash seems to eat up practically all my CPU
> and everything comes to a screeching halt.

Check the Flash code for infinite lists.  Add some debugging and see if you
can figure out which loop is repeating.  Check for an assignment where a
comparison should be... a common mistake as such (using JS as an example):

for (i = 0; i = 10; i++)
{
}

It should be:

for (i = 0; i == 10; i++)
{
}

This isn't the only reason, but is still common and something to look for.

The bottom line is that I'd expect this to be a coding problem, not an
inherent problem with Flash itself.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.