[thelist] Sporadic access to trading accounts - any ideas?

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Mon Dec 1 18:21:18 CST 2003

Hi there,

A problem passed on on behalf of a friend...

I have two questions about the situation described below:

[1] Does this ring any bells with anyone?
[2] Can anyone suggest a London-based service he could subscribe to, or
call out in instances like this? Some sort of company that deal with
home-traders and their technical problems?

The problem:

My pal is a trader working from home. About 3 weeks ago he found he was
unable to log in to certain web sites - on submission of the login form
the page just sat there; the little loading bad chugged away but never
got anywhere.

The sites he couldn't access are:

[1] His trading account
[2] Yahoo mail
[3] Hotmail

All other sites, including his bank and other email sites can be
accessed fine.

He is using:

[1] 2 machines running XP Pro
[2] I modem between the two machines
[3] ADSL via Virgin
[4] IE6, Opera7, MOZ and FB

His service provider swear it's got nothing to do with them.

About a week ago he rolled his XP install back a notch and found that
the problem was solved by the removal of a windows update.

However, a couple of days later the problem arose again, even though the
faulty update wasn't installed.

He has now reinstalled XP on both machines.
The problem still persists, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

And while all this goes on, he's losing lots of money.

The only thing we can think to do next is replace his modem... does
anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks - Dunstan

Dorset, England
Work: http://www.1976design.com/