[thelist] PHP GD library

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 16:36:43 CST 2003

On Dec 08, 2003, at 15:08, Bill Haenel wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience in using GD to create good quality
> thumbnails?

Hi Bill

Yes. See <http://www.nickdunmur.com> for some recent examples from a
job I just finished.

> PHP Version is 4.2.3
> GD Version is 1.6.2
>
> Advice?

Suggest you upgrade--if possible--to GD 2.0.1 or greater, so you can
use imagecopyresampled(), which gives a much better result.

If you can also upgrade to PHP 4.3, it comes with a bundled version of
the GD lib, which should be used in preference, as it is better
maintained and more stable. (Yes, they forked it, because the PHP team
were fed up with slow progress of the original maintainers.)

Try using a truecolour image as your destination as well, using
imagecreatetruecolor().

See <http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecopyresampled.php>,
especially the comments section.

If you need any more help, such as sample code I've used, contact me
offlist.

HTH

--
Andy Warwick