[thelist] PHP GD library

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 20:20:58 CST 2003

Bill Haenel wrote:

> Anyone here have any experience in using GD to create good quality
> thumbnails?
>
> I have attempted it and the results are fair to poor. My professional
> photographer client will not be satisfied with less than good to
> excellent.

I had problems with the quality of thumbnails from GD, so I switched to
ImageMagick and was delighted with the quality it produced. I use the
command-line ImageMagick "convert" tool to generate the thumbnails for
this online gallery page, as well as the lo-res versions of the photos:

http://etc.lawrence.com/galleries/stanford03/