[thelist] Preventing spam spiders from reading mailto links.

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Tue Dec 9 04:05:11 CST 2003

I've a number of techniques and online forms for generating the code here:
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/email_obfuscation_for_spambots/

I've got the following types:

0. Replaces the at @ sign with @ in the link text and tag. It appears
as a readable link in the browser

1. JavaScript to add the two sections name + @ + domain.

2. Bin2hex

3. Ascii encode

4. Hex & Ascii encode

I tend to use the ASCII encode on sites. None of my addresses on pages above
have been harvested by spam bots.

<tip type="Spambots" author="Liam Delahunty">
On your web site consider using a unique email address such as web_contact@,
just for contacts via the web site so you can filter off messages once/if it
gets harvested by spambots.
</tip>

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty,