[thelist] JS obj.value (was RE: Ok, *real* stupid Q...)

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DSI/SICOR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Tue Dec 9 09:48:30 CST 2003

 de jsWalter

> OK, assuming that 'objElement' is properly defined as a
> reference to a Form
> Element...
>
> (I know 'objElement' is properly defined because
> 'objElement.id' gives me
> the correct ID string)
>
> any idea why Mozilla, Firebird, NN 7x returns nothing when
> using this...
>
>     objElement.getAttribute("value")
>
> ???
>
> IE 5//6 Mac/PC, Safari, Konqueror all give me the value
> contained in that
> Element.
>
> Nothing online tell me why this does not work.

Hi js,

Is it a value that is empty when the page is loaded?

Then Mozilla et al. are correct: the attribute is empty.
When you enter a value in a form field its *property* changes, but I'm not sure the attribute is changed.

What does objElement.value return?

stef*notabene
http://evolt.org/user/notabene/22696/
http://www.nota-bene.org/