[thelist] Preventing spam spiders from reading mailto links.

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 00:40:36 CST 2003

At 05:13 07/12/2003, Philip Weller wrote
>Hello, all.
>
><snip>  (I'm aware of Daniel
>Benjamin's Hiveware Enkoder (http://hiveware.com/enkoder_form.php) and think
>he's providing a wonderful service, but I've chosen not to use it because it
>relies on JavaScript and won't work for users who've disabled it.)

an easy way is to "mung" the mailto: address BUT this assumes "clued up" users!

OR direct people to a webform instead of an email address.......

you have the form set to send "from" some obscure address on your own domain

you set a challenge response service up for that domain.......

you have the only approved incoming address as the one the form sends from

the rest get the "spamArrest" treatment....

if someone gets wise to this you can easily block this "from" and start a
new one ;)

FB

I sadly use a little javascript for munging my emails where I want to use
mailto: (inconsiderate ain't I?)