[thelist] Page check + CSS question...

James evolt at reather.net
Wed Dec 10 04:07:02 CST 2003

I've been experimenting with CSS toolbars/menus after being asked to update
an aging site which uses frames-driven navigation.  After playing around
with various things, I've come up with this page:
http://exim.dyndns.org/faqs

The current issues are:

1. If the content on the rhs is long enough and/or the viewer's browser
window is small enough, the green div expands down to the bottom of the
window.  If not, there's an ugly maroon bar across the bottom of the green
div (the page background is maroon).  Is there a good way to solve this one?
I've seen various tricks involving CSS height: 100%, but I haven't got any
of these to work.

2. On this particular page, each question's answer is in a separate div, all
the answers are hidden by Javascript calling "display: none;" when the body
onload event fires, then clicking on each question calls the appropriate
Javascript to 'reveal' the answer.  However, the green div expands as the
individual divs appear, which looks a little odd - is there any way to make
the green div stay at its maximum size when the answers are hidden (i.e. for
the page length to remain fixed, with elements moving down to fill it as
they are revealed)?

3. Mozilla Firebird 0.6+ on Windows XP gives me a strange maroon bar across
the top of the page.  The page and its css validate, and Firebird is in
'standards compliance' mode - any idea what's causing this?

4. On IE6SP1+latest patches on my XP machine, clicking on the first question
to reveal its answer causes some of the words in the very first paragraph to
jump to the left.  Is this an IE gremlin?  Is there a workaround?

Oh, and I'd be grateful for any comments (positive or negative) about how it
looks on various browsers / OSes [I've tried IE, Netscape 7.1 and Firebird
so far, all on Windows], and how the page is from a usability perspective...

Thanks!

James