[thelist] Re: panoramic views

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Fri Dec 12 09:04:45 CST 2003

Quoth John C Bullas <jcbullas at nildram.co.uk>

> AFAIK some cameras (Olympus?) come with packages that generate panoramas?

Yes!  I got ULead Cool360 with an Aiptek PenCam; ironically, the
Aiptek's pinhole lens is not even close to any of focal length
values the program recognizes.  But I haven't had any problems
feeding it images from other digital cameras.

To the original poster:

-  buy or borrow a good tripod to make the editing easier;

-  don't go overboard on the resolution of the original photos.
A modest 0.5 megapixel camera gave me as good a panorama as my
friend's 2 megapixel wonder camera, and it was easier to work
with the smaller files.

- Downloading a current QuickTime will allow you to generate
QuickTime VR files with Cool360 rather than using their silly
proprietary wrapper, even if you don't buy the full QT package

- If you do generate QT VR files, you may want the code from
this page -- it will download the QT plugin if they don't
already have it, or start it automatically if they do:

  http://silkpurse.org/Storefront.htm
   (VR panaorama of the Silk Purse Writers' Center)

Feel free to "view source" to get all its juicy goodness.

Post the URL when you have one -- I like panoramas!  :-)