[thelist] Q on assoc arrays

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Mon Dec 15 10:27:40 CST 2003

I've hit my limit on regular expressions.

I need to check a string to see if it contains legal characters...

 A thru Z [a-z], SPACE, PERIOD, DASH/HYPHEN, APOSTROPHE [\' -,\.]

OK, this is not a problem.

My problem comes in with extended characters, as these examples...

  González
  Vänligen
  före
  innehålla

I'm trying to build a RegExp that will see if the string is a proper name
format or not.

Names only have A thru Z, extended characters for other languages (than
English),  SPACE, PERIOD, DASH/HYPHEN, APOSTROPHE

 Dr. Roger O'Malley
 Mrs. Sara Harris-Henderson

I have a RegExp to so English letters, but not the extended set...

   Manuel González
   Försök Bokstäver
   Contém Espaço-Válido

(Ok, these are not really names, but you get the idea)

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Walter