[thelist] RE: Cheating Google?

Eric E lists at ettinger.net
Mon Dec 22 09:39:02 CST 2003

> I've read that on the contrary. It's important TOO what your
> page links to. for example if your apge is about webcams,
> your ranking will improve if you have a link, nammed WEBCAMS
> that points to a well ranked site about webcams. You
> understand ? It's important what is the text of the link and
> how well the site poitned to is already ranked in google.

This is true. The other side of the equation is that if another site
ranked even reasonably well for WEBCAMS links to you, you'll do even
better. This is one of the reasons that sites are more willing to link
out these days. The old theory was "I paid all this money for a site,
why would I send people away?" But now site admins/owners are realizing
that by linking out (in context) the site comes to be viewed as a
resource on the topic.

But, don't forget that linking is only part of Google's algorithm (and
you alluded to this by stating the link should be text) and optimized
text is the other.

> Well, that's what I read while browsing SEO sites, but like
> all things SEO, it's rumors and guesses.

There is TONS of snake oil out there on SEO - but your resources were
good on this one.

Pax,
Eric

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/