[thelist] RE: Cheating Google?

Eric E lists at ettinger.net
Mon Dec 22 22:29:33 CST 2003

> not sure most SE's are capable of understanding link
> context to great extent either.

Actually, the simplicity of the contextual link is it's beauty.

You have 50 sites with decent ranking for "automobile research" (by
themselves) linking to edmunds.com - that's a tip-off that something is
up with edmunds.com. A crawl of edmunds.com reveals that there is good
and plentiful text on "automobile research" so edmunds.com get's a gold
star. Edmunds.com links to another site and that site bascially rides on
edmunds.com coat-tails (from a linking perspective) and it too has good
text then that site will do pretty well. Think of it as a pyramid.

> On another note, like many, it is getting increasingly more difficult
> to hit the mark using Google these days (more accurate when searching
> for technology/geek related subjects, less for anything else), due
> greatly to the extreme amount of link/search spamming going on (about
> 90% of my searches within the last 48 hours have resulted in pages of
> results of spam sites, merely packed with keywords and irrelevant
> information trying to lead me to an unrelated product of some
> variety).

Yep. If you think of all the people trying to employ all the tricks,
it's a wonder the SE's do as well as they do.

It will be interesting to see what 3rd generation search can do with
turning statistics on actual user behavior (i.e. whether a user comes
back to search results from a site on the results page, and if so, how
soon after they left) to attribute rankings.

Pax,
Eric