[thelist] Accessibility v XHTML

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Jan 2 10:37:26 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 16:34, mlist wrote:
> The page has a drop-down, and I've put a label next to it:
>
> <label for="quickselect">Clients</label>
> <select id="quickSelect" name="clients" onchange="window.location.href =
> this.value;">
>
> So, this reduces the error count in Bobby, but <label /> is not XHTML
> compliant.

Whatever gives you that idea? <label> is perfectly acceptable in XHTML
documents, including XHTML 1.0 Transitional (although I would suggest
moving to Strict).

On the other hand - unless you have certain other features (and
debatably even with those features) so called "jump menus" are not
accessible. See <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/navmenu.html>

--
David Dorward                                 <http://dorward.me.uk/>