[thelist] website uptime

mike karthauser mikek at brightstorm.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 05:32:58 CST 2004

On 3 Jan 2004, at 10:12, <john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a fairly low-traffic site which has gone offline two or three
> times
> recently, for maybe a few hours at a stretch. The client is unhappy
> with
> this. I'm talking to the hosting company about their solutions, but I
> wonder, what does the list think? It's just HTML/PHP.
>
> Ideally, what I'd love is a prioritised list of things to do, in order
> of
> priority. So for instance, move to a decent host might be one step (UK
> recommendations?), but there might be easier and cheaper steps first,
> and
> more complex steps later. I'd probably tackle step one first, wait for
> the
> next downtime, then tackle step two and continue until there's no more
> downtime.
>
> Anyways, your thoughts would be appreciated :-)

move hosting companies. there are plenty of hosts which are good priced
and have maximum uptime. for the sake of a couple days to propagate the
domain to a new host you can then not worry about the downtime again.
IME companies whos hosting goes offline will always go offline.

Check your hosting company is running apache on *nix as you'll get far
better results than any IIS hosting.

If your site is low traffic and is less than 20Mb then you could try a
VS20 from dsvr
http://www.dsvr.co.uk/Hosting/Free_Hosting/

I took that deal from dsvr a couple of years back and use them fro
everything now.

HTH

--
Mike Karthauser