[thelist] PHP $_SESSION Expiring in IE

Tarrant Costelloe taz at madfolk.com
Sat Jan 3 05:39:23 CST 2004

Dear Evoloters,

I have recently launched the new Planet-Tolkien.com, one would think
that writing a message board from scratch and a dynamic weather system,
a simple session login would be the least of my problems right? Wrong.

It would appear that for Mozilla and Opera keep a $_SESSION is not an
issue and the $_SESSION is continued until the member logs out. However
when members are using Internet Explorer browser (most versions it
seems), they can go around the site for varied amounts of time, usually
less than five minutes and then their $_SESSION will expire!!??

I cannot for the life of me figure out why a server side $_SESSION would
expire on IE but not for MOZ or Opera but it is, and I need to figure
out why and how can I fix this.

REF. All login information is saved as such:

session_save_path("$path/sessions");
session_start();
$_SESSION['session_memberID']=$session_memberID;
$_SESSION['session_username']=$session_username;
$_SESSION['session_groupID']=$membergroup;

In Fellowship,
Tarrant