[thelist] legal questions

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Mon Jan 5 15:00:08 CST 2004

Under US law, since your not an employee of the client, if your
contract doesn't specify who owns the copyright, you in fact still do
notwithstanding you got paid.

That said, it doesn't sound like you're interested in accusing your
friend/client of copyright infringement. Why not ask for a credit link
"Site database programming by ___". That would honor your original
agreement with your friend and still be accurate.

Re what to do about your online portfolio, I simply upload (almost)
complete, archived versions of sites I've done that have been
re-worked by the client or since closed. Granted, those are almost all
static page sites. I have seen good firms do something similar with a
series of screenshots or sample, static pages of sites originally
dynamically built. I don't think it says you suck; I think people
understand that site maintenance changes over time.

I would not link to archive.org, though, because that service doesn't
cache all images and other site files (like some external CSS, etc.).

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s
www.OnPointSolutions.com