[thelist] To reboot or not to reboot. That is the question.

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Tue Jan 6 13:04:38 CST 2004

On Monday 2004 January 05 12:41, Sam Carter wrote:
> Now and then when my cable-modem service goes down and I've had to
> resort to calling tech support to get it running again.
>
> COMCAST (my ISP) insists that I power down my modem and my PC, then
> power up the modem first, and after it goes online, then power up the
> PC.
>
> Is there an reason why the power down / up of the PC would do
> something that running IPCONFIG /RENEW  would not ?

Comcast is apparently overrun by idiots, then. The only reason to reboot
is to chase out gremlins that might have snuck into the network card.
Even then, if you are using a USB network interface, unplug and replug
does almost everything a reboot would have done (unless there were
gremlins in your USB chip too).

Power-cycling the cable modem should be more than enough.

--
Shawn K. Quinn