[thelist] Odd file download problem in IE 5.5

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Jan 6 21:17:40 CST 2004

I would grab a copy of Ethereal (or similar), and put a trace on HTTP
traffic.

It appears that you are using a custom-built authentication system rather
than a HTTP-based authentication system (like Basic Auth), so for this to
work, the browser and server need to properly maintain session state. It
seems that this may be getting "lost" somewhere along the line.

Also, check your webserver logs to see what the server thinks is coming from
the browser.

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)

From: "Chris George" <cgeorge at basecorp.com>
Subject: [thelist] Odd file download problem in IE 5.5

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with a PHP file download script a friend/colleage
of mine wrote for a client. We've been struggling with caching issues
all along, where by when someone chose to download a file, it would
attempt to bring up a cached version, usually resulting in an error.
This latest one is along the same lines, however I had thought we
cleared it up. When a user clicks on a file (which happens to be Excel)
(which doesn't happen on any of my test machines, or some other remote
machines we've tested it on, so far), it brings up Excel in the browser
(the way it should), but instead of the file in question, somehow tries
to display the login screen of the script. Very odd.

Does anyone know what we are experiencing, and what we can do to fix
this? I've included some screencaps:
http://homepage.mac.com/codemonkey00/screencaps/cap1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/codemonkey00/screencaps/cap2.jpg