[thelist] SQL Server Port 1433 problems

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jan 12 16:10:51 CST 2004

I'm working on a completely virgin install of SQL Server 2k in Windows 2003.
Just after install I check that the TCP/IP protocol is enabled under the
server properties and then I try to Telnet into port 1433.  On this one
particular box I get back the following:

C:\>telnet localhost 1433
Connecting to localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port
1433: Connect failed.

For comparison I tested telnet on a couple other machines and I get back a
blank window ready for my commands, as I'd expect.

I've checked the firewall settings and other IP Filtering settings to see if
any of those were blocking traffic to 1433... nothing.  I've triple checked
the SQL Server settings for any "problems" and nothing jumps out at me.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer