[thelist] My 12 year old son can do websites

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 03:35:36 CST 2004

Hi

I don't know if this is off topic or not (I'll tip anyway), but a client
said to me yesterday "my 12 year old son made a really good looking
website yesterday using Microsoft Publisher, do you use that?"

What this says is that the client has zero understanding of what the
difference is between what we all do here on this list, and what a 12 year
old can do with MP.

I'm not quick with my responses, so I'm looking for a one line response
that puts it in a nutshell. You must all have come across this, so how do
you respond.

I'm working on a "well, if he'd spent some time learning Easy CAD, would
you let him select a plot, then design and build your next house?"
response which seems to do it, but maybe there are better lines.

I'm going to blog the best responses, so let me know if you don't want me
to do that.

<tip>
Pressman's Software Engineering book is a favourite of mine. Particularly
at the back is a development model to manage web development, and there's
a good description of function points for (more or less accurate)
estimation.
</tip>

Cheers