[thelist] My 12 year old son can do websites

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 03:52:38 CST 2004

on 15/01/2004 09:35 john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

 > My 12 year old son can do websites

My cat can dig holes but that doesn't make it a landscape gardener.

My 18 month old daughter can recite Incy Wincy Spider but that doesn't
make her Meryl Streep.

I speak French but that doesn't make me Joan Of Arc. - Maureen O'Hara
from Miracle On 34th Street (1947).

... and without 'witty' one liners. Ask your client:
+ to validate the code, so you can see if it would work on the majority
of platforms/browsers.
+ to view the source and see where the content is... that affects search
engines. Most WYSIWYG have so much crud the real content is too deep in
the page for mere mortal search engines to index.
+ what pyramidal & information architecture is and why it is used
+ can the site be extended
+ can the site have alternative (non templated) structures and designs

The list of questions just goes on and on.... e-commerce, extendability,
planning, SEO... blah blah

BTW, is this is an existing client? If you're being asked to comment on
a site for a potential new client, they will pick your best ideas. See
what Johnny can do with them and let nepotism rule the day.

Feel free to use any of the above on your blog, though I'd appreciate a
little link to my own emerging blog - it could use a reader or two! -
http://ldel.blogspot.com/

--
Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty