[thelist] Elementary School Websites

Ken Kogler gsls at kenkogler.com
Thu Jan 15 10:53:57 CST 2004

I should clarify what I meant when I asked for links to "good" school
websites: I'm looking more at their information architecture rather than
the semantics of everything. I don't care if it's XHTML 1.0 Strict if
I've gotta click through 12 pages to find anything and there's
inconsistent navigation.

A school provides a unique set of challenges for information
architecture. We've got 2 classes for each grade here, so there's two
1st grades, two 2nd grades, etc... That's 18 classes total including
kindergarten, each with their own schedules, assignments, etc. How would
you reflect that in the navigation and maintain usability and good
information design? Sort it by class, or sort it by content (schedule,
homework, etc).