[thelist] Stricter contract

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Sun Jan 18 08:26:46 CST 2004

Message from Faye Tarzwell (FayeC) (1/17/2004 08:53 AM)
>I am having a little difficulty with a past client and her wish to share
>her logo with another website.
>My contract does have a very short clause about image copyright but I
>would like to make it a little more stricter and detailed as per rights of
>use and retainment of copyrights on the images.
>Can someone point me to a more strict contract either online or that you
>might have yourself?
>I need to fix that little gap before it comes biting me *ykw*....

Did you design her logo?
If it's an official company logo it shouldn't be treated as just another
copyrighted website image. She should have full rights to do whatever she
wants with it. If you designed the logo you should have allowed her to buy
full rights to it, at an appropriate price.

Rights of use and retaining copyright of images are all well and good but
do your images really have anything so amazingly and incredibly unique that
they are irreplaceable to your client? Do you really want to spend a whole
bunch of time making sure that your copyrights aren't infringed?

I bet you didn't create the images for free. How much more money are you
going to earn for licensing their reuse, compared to the time you will
spend monitoring that aspect of your business? Why not just allow the
clients to use the images, fully licenced, while you maintain the rights to
display it as being your work. How many images you create for client A
would you reuse for client B anyways?

regards.
-marc

--
Carnival 2003 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/