[thelist] OT-ish purely image based websites

James Parsons jp at batworks.com
Tue Jan 20 17:46:58 CST 2004

>Out of curiosity, I loaded this site with images turned off in my browser. I
>saw the following:
>
>Copyright © 2003 by Jack E. Janzen and Leon J. Janzen, All rights
>reserved.Contact Us!
>
>That's it. That's all the content that shows up on the page. I looked at the
>source, and all of the images are alt="". I am astonsihed. I thought we'd
>moved past this. Especially major corporations who presumably hire
>professional web designers.
>
>On 1/20/04 5:12 PM, "Scott Schrantz" <scotts at rci-nv.com> wrote:

I'm not sure, but I don't think the-e-ticket.com is the work of anybody at
Disney. Looks to me to be a fan site probably created by a couple of guys
who might be graphic arts pros but with no real web background. There's a
heck of a lot of Disney fan sites out there. This I discoverd back when I
was managing the Amusement Industry Manufacturers & Suppliers, aimsintl.org
site (now just a vestigial shell of what it used to be). I have links to
some of these on a directory page I run at
http://batworks.com/aims/amusement_links/a_dis.shtml as part of a group of
pages of links to amusement industry sites. Admittedly, I need to go
through that and destinguish a little more clearly the fan sites from the
actual Disney sites. And some of those URLs seem to be no good anymore.

In any case, seems likely to me that the-e-ticket.com, as it is, is
probably destined to drop out of Google or most any other semantically
sensitive web index where it might currently be found. They still show in
Google, but it's probably just on the strength of the cached version of
their old home page
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:PjIaEosnBZcJ:www.the-e-ticket.com/+The+%22
E%22+Ticket+Magazine&hl=en&ie=UTF-8). So this must be fairly new? Next time
or two this site gets revisited by Googlebot (or FAST or whatever), without
a bunch of work, my hunch is it'll likely just disappear from there.

<!--jp-->