[thelist] Topica = Spam?

Michael Dinowitz mdinowit at houseoffusion.com
Wed Jan 21 14:18:44 CST 2004

I've found that as well. Topica has a very bad rep for spamming and opt-out
email being sent without request.
Does your client want to run his own server or outsource to others? If he's
looking at Topica, I assume he's not looking to spend a lot (Topica is free
from what I know). I'm sure just about everyone here can suggest a
mailserver or two with good list support. I use iMS myself and the list
support is custom written for what I need. (CF-Talk and other lists at
www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists)

As for other services, what about a yahoo group with restricted posting and
no ads (a paid option, I believe)

I've got a client who is looking to move his opt-in e-mail list to Topica
because he wants to start sending HTML e-mail (the program we currently use
is text only). However, while researching this I found that any e-mail list
I opt into on Topica gets tagged as Spam by my company's blocking software.
I even found an instance of a company whose newsletters came through fine,
but started to be blocked when they switched to Topica.

> So, since our IT people won't divulge the secrets of how they tag e-mail
as Spam, my questions are these: Does anyone out there know if e-mail from
Topica is commonly marked as Spam by Spam-killers? And if so, can someone
recommend an equivalent (or better!) service that doesn't have this problem?

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/